Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How half bottles affect wine aging

I have read that wines age faster in half-bottles than in full-bottles or magnums.  I can say that the differences are subtle, but are there.  I have also noticed that a wine will reach its peak much earlier in a half bottle.  As an example, the 1992 Ridge Monte Bello half-bottle peaked about two years ago, but the regular bottle still performs nicely today.  On the other hand, I opened a fascinating 1982 Chateau Duhart Milon in a half-bottle about three years ago that was truly amazing.  The life-shortening effect seems to be related to the tiny amount of air at the top of the bottle.  A half-bottle, regular bottle, and magnum all share the same volume of air at the top of the bottle, and this air contributes to the aging effect of the wine.  It stands to reason that if you want to hold onto a wine for a long time, age it in a magnum (and then invite me to the party).

No comments:

Post a Comment