Sunday, April 22, 2012

A rose and red wine

What has a rose to do with wine?  This rose is one of the more fragrant varieties.  There are other roses that are beautiful but lack any sort of significant aroma.  This one can be detected from four feet away.  I believe that the variety (breed?) is called Chrysler Imperial.  This is not the stereotypical rose smell that finds its way into perfumes (which I believe comes from a white rose - I had one like that until the utility company drove over it while replacing the gas lines in my neighborhood.)  This red rose has a slightly musky quality, some sense of baking spices, but is clearly a rose’s scent.  A number of good Bordeaux wines and California cabernets also exhibit this quality, sometimes referred to as floral.  And it is these first roses of spring that are often the most fragrant, and so I was reminded of the connection with wine today while working in the yard.

The Cabernet rose?

No comments:

Post a Comment