Friday, October 3, 2014

Elizabeth Spencer Wines, August 11, 2014

www.elizabethspencerwines.com

My second stop of the day was Elizabeth Spencer.  The main reason for my visit here was to pick up my friend’s wine club shipment.  Luckily, they checked the status of his account first and determined that his credit card information needed to be updated.  My friend was tied up for the next thirty minutes, so I decided to take advantage of the fact that Elizabeth Spencer stays open until 6:00pm during the summer months and rescheduled my stop here.  Off I flew to my next winery so I could return later, allowing my friend to make arrangements for his billing in the meantime.  I returned after visiting the next two wineries on my agenda and enjoyed a relaxing tasting here.  Aside from the wines and the charming architecture of this place, the late hours are another big reason I like Elizabeth Spencer.  When something goes wrong with your timetable, it’s nice to have the flexibility to rearrange a few visits.
The wine-rack wall inside Elizabeth Spencer's tasting room

After the generosity of pours at the previous two wineries I visited, I needed to scale back my wine tasting at Elizabeth Spencer.  I opted for just two pours, but ended up with three.  I started with the 2011 Russian River Chardonnay, which has a nice minerality to it.  Next, I asked for two red recommendations and was poured their top two Cabernets:  the 2010 Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon and the 2010 Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon.  Of these three wines, the Rutherford Cabernet was my favorite, but even with the wine-club discount, it is just beyond my financial reach.  (Maybe I’ll try to get an invite when my friend opens his bottle.)

A full review was written already about Elizabeth Spencer Wines during my visit on November 2nd, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment