Thursday, February 19, 2015

December 14, 2014 – 2002 Rubicon Estate Red

When celebrating at a party, you bring a wine that is sure to please all, but not so grand that it would be lost on those who lack any appreciation for what excellence in wine-making can bring to a wine.  So, to honor the birthday celebrator directly, we shared a half-bottle of 2002 Rubicon Estate Red wine.  This wine is one of my top five favorite wines from my collection (and that is saying something).  I originally pursued this wine after noticing that Wine Enthusiast rated it 98 points, and I figured “just how bad can it be?”.  So, I picked up a half-bottle and opened it – wow!  I immediately sought out a case of half-bottles to hold for special occasions (like tonight).  The wine is performing remarkably (as are the best 2002 Napa Valley Cabernets), and is starting to shed a small amount of its power in favor of elegance.  The palette is wonderfully balanced and complex – enough so that describing its flavors would be pointless and might rob you of some of the fun of enjoying this wine.  Suffice it to say that it is developing consistently with other 2002 Napa Valley Cabernets that I have opened so far, only wonderfully so.
2002 Rubicon Estate Proprietary Red

No comments:

Post a Comment