Sunday, December 16, 2012

October 22, 2012 – Special Wines

2004 Bell Cellars Talianna Red Wine

I remember being so impressed with the 2002 vintage of this wine that I bought a bottle, in spite of its price.  I had enjoyed the other 2004 Bell wines so much that I was comfortable buying this wine without tasting it first.  Then, I forgot I had it.  (That is the proper way to age a wine.)  Tonight, while searching my cellar for something special to open, I happened upon this bottle and decided it was time.  While I expected the flavors to be delicious, I never expected the richness that had developed in this wine.  Wow!  The nose was beautiful, the palette was wonderfully balanced, and the finish persisted long enough to enjoy this wine slowly.  The palette featured raspberry jam, minerals, black cherry, and leather.  After pouring the last glass, I started kicking myself for not buying more of this when I had the opportunity.

2003 Ridge York Creek Zinfandel

2003 was one of California’s greatest Zinfandel vintages of late, and York Creek produces elegant Zinfandels for Ridge.  Combine the two and what’s not to like?  I have been Jonesing to open this bottle for a couple of years now and finally decided I had the right mix of appreciative guests to uncork it.  While this wine was overshadowed by the intense richness of the Bell Talianna, had I poured this wine first it would have been nearly as amazing.  The richness in this wine is far more subtle, but the wine is also more elegant.  Nicely balanced, the palette delivers nearly pure fruits of black raspberry, cranberry, black cherry, leather, and minerals.  Again, I was kicking myself for only buying the one bottle.

2003 Ridge York Creek Zinfandel


No comments:

Post a Comment