Sunday, January 20, 2013

December 6, 2012 – Wine: 2004 Darioush Cabernet Sauvignon

My friend who works in a San Francisco wine shop lured me to his store for a special event where Cathy Corison was pouring a vertical of Corison Cabernets (2004, 2005, 2006, and 2009).  My favorite of the lineup was the 2005, but the 2006 was probably the most surprising in how it has improved over the last three years.  Afterwards, I joined my friend for dinner where we opened this half-bottle of Darioush.  While very different in style than the Corison lineup (bigger fruits, more emphasis on power than elegance), this wine was definitely noteworthy, tasty, and very well balanced.  While the finish might be described as short, this is mostly because the dominant experience is at the front of the palette – juicy flavors of cranberry, leather, mineral, blackberry.  This wine was well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment