Wednesday, August 28, 2013

July 21, 2013 – Wine: 2003 Hestan Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The only reason I know the name Hestan is because it is the winery (and winemaker) that hosts and produces Meyer Vineyards wines.  Upon discovering Meyer’s wines at a tasting, I searched the web and discovered the association with Hestan.  The price of the Hestan was always beyond my reach so I passed on the opportunity to try them.  Recently, while acquiring some half-bottles of amazing 2002 Cabernets, I was offered the chance to get this half-bottle as well (at a reasonable price).  After my experience with the Meyer, I was expecting a big, juicy, deep, and rich wine.  Instead, the wine was elegant, refined, deep but not rich, with a persistent finish.  I noted flavors of black raspberry, dark cherry, cranberry, mineral, dark chocolate, and leather.  This turned out to be a very impressive wine from what has been described as an irregular (and tannic) vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment