Friday, October 19, 2012

August 19, 2012 – Wine: 2005 Gary Farrell Cresta Ridge Chardonnay

I never was a big fan of Chardonnay … at least not until I tried a couple of 2005 White Burgundy samples at a tasting once.  I discovered that I like a weighty Chardonnay with good body, balance, some toasty oak and mineral and light on the exotic fruits.  I also discovered that a well-made Chardonnay will age gracefully for five to ten years.  This one had the stuff to run even longer.  It so impressed me with its Burgundian style when it was young that I had to return to the winery and buy a bottle.  It then took me over three years to find an occasion to open it.  I had a couple of friends visiting San Jose (from chilly San Francisco) and we wanted something cool to sip outside in the shade.  This wine (once it warmed up from its deep chill) was simply wonderful, with terrific weight and balance, a nice nose, with subtle flavors of wildflower honey, butterscotch, golden apple, toasted oak, and mineral.  Plus it radiated a beautiful golden yellow in the decanter.  This wine was surely worth the wait.
2005 Gary Farrell Cresta Ridge Chardonnay

No comments:

Post a Comment