Monday, October 8, 2012

August 8, 2012 – Wine: 2007 Shafer Napa Valley Merlot

I must have opened the previous bottle of this wine prematurely.  Back in October of 2010, this wine was nice and obviously well made, but it lacked the wow! that I have come to associate with the Shafer Merlot.  Of course, being so young, the fruit was locked down.  After my love affair with the 2005 vintage, I guess I had set my expectations too high.  So I followed my own advice and let the remaining bottles rest a couple of years.  What a difference that made.  The wow! is back and better than ever.  While the palette stars black fruits instead of red fruits like the 2005, the wine is juicy, lush, and amazingly balanced with flavors of blackberry, black cherry, black pepper, dark chocolate, and subtle mineral notes.  Well done Shafer.

2007 Shafer Napa Valley Merlot

No comments:

Post a Comment