Saturday, August 16, 2014

Corison Winery, July 15, 2014

www.corison.com

It was time again to pick up my wine club shipment at Corison winery.  This time my pickup consisted of two bottles of the 2010 Kronos Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.  While I was looking forward to tasting this wine, I would leave disappointed because they did not have enough bottles left to pour in the tasting room.  I guess I will simply have to be surprised by this wine.  Walking down the driveway to the Corison Winery building it was obvious that some major renovation work was underway on the old farmhouse there.  I asked one of the workers who shared with me that the plan is to turn this into a new guest house.  My first thought was that they would move the tasting operations out of the cellar and into the new house, but that will not be the case.  I still get to taste among the barrels at Corison.
The Corison farm house under renovation

Because I behaved myself at the prior stop, I was able to enjoy more of the wines being poured at Corison.  I had not tasted the Helios Cabernet Franc since the delicious 2007 vintage, so I started off with a taste of the 2010 vintage.  Next, they had several back vintages of the Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon open, so I was able to try each of the 2001, 2004, and 2005 vintages, along with the 2010.  Lastly, they poured the 2008 Kronos Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, which is developing both elegance and richness.  Of these wines, my favorite was the 2001 vintage (and usually is), followed closely by the 2004 and 2005.  I should probably open one of the 2005’s I’m holding onto in my cellar.  Needless to say, my disappointment from not trying the 2010 Kronos faded quickly.

A full review was written already about Corison Winery during my visit on April 6th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment