Tuesday, August 12, 2014

July 5, 2014 – Wine: Moet et Chandon Imperial Champagne

I had friends over for a backyard barbeque.  My friends all wanted beer with their grilled tacos, but I’m not a fan of beer.  Then I remembered a quarter-bottle (187ml) of Champagne that I had in the basement and I tossed it into the freezer for a few minutes.  I am starting to acquire a taste for Champagne (especially blanc de noirs), and I thought this cold bubbly would suit the late summer afternoon quite well (and pair nicely with the Tilapia tacos).  The first thing that surprised me was that an actual cork was used, not some plastic twist-off molded in the shape of a traditional cork.  The second thing that surprised me was the taste.  All these years I have found Champagne/sparkling wine not to my liking because I had always tasted the inexpensive, highly-acidic and off balance bubbly that others had bought.  Now I am starting to discover that I do enjoy the well-made bubblies, especially this Champagne, with its superb balance, great acidity, and notes of fruit that shine elegantly through the brisk palette.  I originally bought this on a whim, and now I’ve been trying to remember where I bought it so I can buy some more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment