Sunday, August 3, 2014

Elizabeth Spencer Wines, July 15, 2014

www.elizabethspencerwines.com

It was time for a return trip to Napa Valley to pick up an assortment of wine-club shipments, both for me and my friend.  This stop is for the latter.  I had picked up a sandwich in Yountville and brought it with me to Elizabeth Spencer.  I sat outdoors in the glorious weather at a small table and enjoyed my turkey sandwich paired with a number of Elizabeth Spencer’s wines.  I find turkey to be such a flavorful and versatile meat that it pairs with nearly anything but the most delicate of dry wines.  And the Elizabeth Spencer patio made for a delightful al-fresco dining experience, although I would be reluctant to attempt this on a busier day of the week.  I am less comfortable munching on a sandwich in front of crowds that have no food with them and so choose to do this only when there is very little company.
The elegant patio at Elizabeth Spencer Wines

To pair with my sandwich, the tasting room folks served up some great wines.  I started with a dry 2012 Chenin Blanc, which surprised me a little.  Next was the 2011 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir and the Sonoma Coast Syrah, both from the same part of the Sonoma Coast.  I thought I would end my flight with the 2010 Special Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon, but the generous folks at the tasting room followed this with a pour of their 2005 Howell Mountain Merlot, which was really quite nice.  Of these, my favorite was the 2010 Special Cuvee Cabernet Sauvignon for its flavors and structure.

A full review was written already about Elizabeth Spencer Wines during my visit on November 2nd, 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment