Friday, November 14, 2014

October 1, 2014 – Wine: 2005 Meyer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

This wine has yet to disappoint me, especially when considering the price.  In the past I have compared it to big wines like the 2002 Rubicon Estate Red or the 2005 Miner Family Oracle which cost many times more, and while you can measure the difference in substance between the bigger wines and this wine, there is no arguing that this wine offers a superior flavor profile.  When I first discovered this wine, it was plush with delicious red fruits.  After having tasted many young 2005 Napa Cabernets, I pointed to this wine as typifying the best of the vintage.  Tonight, the tannins have mellowed nearly to perfection.  The balance is great, and the body boarders on elegant.  But the real treat is the array of flavors delivered.  I sensed boysenberry, cranberry, maple syrup (the real kind), leather, and minerals.  I still have half a case remaining of these delightful half-bottles.  As it appears they are nearing their peak, I should pick of the pace of enjoying them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment