Saturday, November 1, 2014

September 22, 2014 – Wine: 2006 Ridge Geyserville

When I tasted this wine young (at release), I thought it showed potential to become something nice.  So, I bought a case of half-bottles.  At that time in 2008, it was tannic, showing red fruits, metals and minerals, and only the suggestion of some of the faults that 2006 brought to many California wines.  (You can thank the 115F degree July heat for that.)  So, I let it rest for a few years as I worked through the last of my 2004’s and 2005’s, and even opened a couple of 2008’s.  When I opened one in 2011, it was elegant and medium bodied, but still rather tannic with youthful fruits.  In 2013, the wine’s tannins dominated the fruits, as the wine took on more body.  Tonight, the wine has woven itself into peak performance, with an elegant, utterly smooth, medium body that sports only the suggestion of tannins.  The palette is very nicely integrated with red fruits dominating, especially the red cherry and raspberry.  I am looking forward to opening the next half bottle.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment