Sunday, November 23, 2014

October 11, 2014 – Wine: 2009 Savannah-Chanelle Russian River Pinot Noir

While tasting recently at the Savannah-Chanelle winery (and hoping they had some good stuff on sale), I noticed a case of the 2009 Russian River Pinot Noir marked down about 30%.  I was able to taste the wine and decided that, at just over $20 a bottle, this wine would be great to bring to parties.  The 2009 vintage was highly praised for its Pinot Noir wines, and Savannah-Chanelle consistently releases quality wines that improve with some time in the cellar, so I felt safe making this purchase.  Besides, the 2009 Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir was performing grandly right now (and I have just one bottle remaining now).  Now, ten months later, I opened a bottle and was quite pleased.  The wine is taking on many of the fruit qualities in the Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir, but retaining more of the classic Pinot Noir characteristics of being a controlled, balanced, and thought-provoking wine.  I am looking forward to opening my next bottle.
2009 Savannah-Chanelle Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

No comments:

Post a Comment