Saturday, July 28, 2012

June 10, 2012 – Wine: 2006 Bell Cellars Sonnette

2006 has not been my favorite vintage from Napa Valley.  I have opened a lot of unsatisfying bottles from this vintage.  (I suspect that the week-long July heat wave culminating in four days of 115 degree F temperatures may have had something to do with it.)  I applaud any winemaker that released a truly successful wine from 2006.  This wine is a great example.  Bell’s Sonnette wine is a blend of the classic Bordeaux varietals with some emphasis on Cabernet Sauvignon.  In this instance, the wine walks the line between power and elegance, featuring flavors of cranberry, sour cherry, black licorice, and minerals.  While the 2006 vintage characteristics are still evident in this wine, they are substantially subdued as this wine exudes terrific balance and flavor.  (I have noted flavors of steel and charcoal in most 2006 reds from Napa Valley, and off balance acids and bitterness that steer many of the wines away from my tastes.)

2006 Bell Sonnette Red Wine

No comments:

Post a Comment