Sunday, July 8, 2012

May 30, 2012 – Wine: 2003 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste

When I first tasted this wine in a Bordeaux lineup back in 2006, I recall how much this wine resembled a Napa Valley Cabernet in its flavor profile (which is probably the reason I bought a bottle).  Today, that still holds true, as this wine lacks many of the characteristics that point to a fine Bordeaux, such as pencil lead or tar notes.  Instead, this wine features equally intense flavors of red currant, strawberry, mineral, and leather.  The nose is nearly as intense as the palette, although it is more floral.  The tannins are too big right now, even after two hours of decanting, suggesting this wine should rest for another three to five years before really enjoying what it has to offer.  Regrettably, this was my only bottle of the 2003 vintage.  And, I’ll have to wait a few more months before my 2009 bottles arrive, let alone the six or more years of cellaring before I can open any of them.

2003 Chateau Gand Puy Lacoste

1 comment:

  1. Pauillac and 5th Grand Cru Classe for a vintage that scored 95 (RP), that's for sure a very desirable wine. Haut Medoc is probably where the very finest Bordeaux are coming from!

    ReplyDelete