Friday, July 6, 2012

May 29, 2012 – Wine: 2002 Ridge Home Ranch

The first vintage of this wine was the 2001.  The last vintage was the 2002.  When I learned there would be no more vintages of this wine, I nearly cried.  Although I preferred the 2001 to the 2002, this wine has long been one of my favorite Meritage blends, especially when factoring in the price.  So, I scouted out as many half bottles as I could afford and tucked them away.  The 2001 bottles were ready right away, so I drank through them while the tannins in the 2002 bottles subsided (somewhat).  The 2002 was built for a long rest in the cellar and is just now starting to enter its prime.  Although the beautiful fruit that I have always adored in this wine is starting to take a back seat to the other flavors, the texture of the wine is vastly improved.  While still quite spicy with tannins, it is very well integrated and complex, with flavors of tobacco and mineral overshadowing the more shy fruit flavors of red cherry.  While deceptively smooth in texture, this wine bores into your palette with its weight, persisting for nearly a minute afterwards.  I will indeed miss this wine once the last bottle is uncorked – fortunately, I have a few more bottles to last me a little while longer.

2002 Ridge Home Ranch

No comments:

Post a Comment