Monday, November 19, 2012

Chimney Rock Winery, October 1st, 2012

Winery - 7 / Wines - 7
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Dutch influenced architecture, relaxing patio, nicely made Cabernets and blends.
www.chimneyrock.com

This was my first visit to Chimney Rock winery, even though I had passed by a number of times on my way to other places in the Stag’s Leap district.  The old-world architecture, easily visible from the Silverado trail, had long captured my attention as I drove by, so this time I planned a trip there.  I have to admit that I would have liked cooler weather for my visit (it hit 100F today), but inside the tasting room the air conditioning was working overtime to keep us all cool.  Fortunately, I visited early enough in the day (just before 1:00) to avoid the worst of the heat and had a chance to spend a short time on the patio enjoying my wine.  That didn’t last too long as the increasing heat drove me back to the air conditioning.  Had the temperature been 10F to 15F degrees cooler, you would not have been able to get me back inside (except for the next pour).

The patio at Chimney Rock Winery

From the parking lot, the exterior has a modest appearance such as you would expect to find in Holland today.  Inside, the tasting room is modest in size yet accommodating.  The tall, vaulted ceiling echoes the European feel established by the exterior and adds a sense of roominess to the tasting area.  A tasting bar occupies the center of the long room, with three sides exposed for guests to work their way through a flight of their wines.  The bar is made of classically sculpted fruitwood and is topped with marble.  The floor is done in a neutral, wide-planked wood that does not detract from the counter.  The open-beam ceilings support an intricate brass chandelier that helps to light the space softly.  Just outside the tasting room doors you’ll find a patio set up to accommodate six small groups in a very comfortable setting.  The patio’s style is very California and typical to Napa Valley, in stark contrast to the rest of the Dutch inspired architecture.  It is so well executed though that you hardly notice the change in style as you step outdoors.

The tasting room at Chimney Rock Winery

The tasting menu offers four different flights to suit your mood, including a flight of the current release (2008) of their red blends.  I was in the mood for their vertical flight of Cabernet Sauvignons, running from the 2005 vintage through 2008.  My favorite of the lineup was the tasty 2005 vintage for its more prominent red fruits and its added maturity.  They sell the current release of the Cabernet Sauvignon in half bottles so I bought one to take home.

Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 7 and the wines offered as a 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment