Tuesday, November 6, 2012

September 8, 2012 – Wine: 2002 J. Lohr Carol’s Vineyard

J. Lohr is a well-known Paso Robles winery, but they have one source of grapes from Napa Valley called Carol’s Vineyard.  From there they get the grapes to make their Carol’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.  I first tasted this wine with the 2002 release and recognized its potential.  I opened the first bottle three summers back as a bribe to convince my sister to take in two adorable kittens I found in my back yard knowing her weakness for J. Lohr’s high-end Cabs and cute kittens.  Alas, the wine was consumed and I had to find another home for the adorable cats. 

Tonight my other sister was visiting from Colorado and I gave her a choice of three wines to open, including a 2002 Groth Cabernet and a 2005 St. Clement Rutherford Cabernet.  She picked this wine.  (We opened the St. Clement later when my other sister arrived.)  After about a 30 minute decant, the wine was showing wonderfully.  The texture had smoothed out to pure silk, while the fruits delivered prominent vintage-typical red berry flavors backed up by subtle minerals.  All this was delivered in perfect balance.  To say that this wine was at its peak would be an understatement.  (If you use a temperature-controlled wine refrigerator, it might go another year or two.)

No comments:

Post a Comment