Thursday, November 15, 2012

September 21, 2012 – Wine: 2004 Shafer Vineyards One Point Five Cabernet Sauvignon

I remember tasting this wine in a vertical tasting of the 2002, 2003, and 2004 vintages at one sitting.  While the ’02 and ’03 were both Napa Valley blends, the ’04 grapes were sourced strictly from the Stag’s Leap district.  At the time, my favorite was the 2003 for its strength, while the 2004 was somewhat shut down.  Still, it was a very nice wine, and when I happened upon a half-bottle, I bought one.  Tonight, I chose this bottle to open for a toast to the Space Shuttle program and the work these amazing flying machines and their crews have accomplished.  In the half-bottle, this wine is nearing its peak.  The wine is utterly smooth, wonderfully balanced, with good weight, and features flavors of blackberry, black cherry, earthy leather, and a subtle mineral character.
2004 Shafer One Point Five Cabernet Sauvignon

No comments:

Post a Comment