Wednesday, November 28, 2012

October 15, 2012 – Wine: 2006 Etude Carneros Pinot Noir

The fact that I bought this 2006 Pinot Noir (the vintage was rated 86-87 points) says a lot for the wine already.  Very few of the 2006 Pinot Noir offerings motivated me to buy any.  But, after tasting it at the winery, I saw some promise in the wine and bought a couple of bottles.  I opened the first bottle too young (back in 2009 or 2010), so I left a note to hold onto the second bottle until after 2011.  Now this wine has turned delightful.  The initial nose offered up notes of cinnamon.  The palette was beautifully balanced and elegant, with flavors of black cherry, raspberry, baking spices, and minerals.  Any of the 2006 vintage heat characteristics are now absent from this wine, which offers hope for my lone remaining Pinot Noir wine (a Gary Farrell).

No comments:

Post a Comment