Monday, December 30, 2013

December 9, 2013 – Wine: 2001 Paul Hobbs Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Last May, my wine buddy discovered half-bottles of Paul Hobbs’ wines online and asked if we could coordinate an order to save on shipping.  I agreed (and landed some fantastic bottles) and tonight he decided to open his bottle of 2001 Cabernet.  I had reservations about any half-bottle of 2001 Cabernet performing well by now after the other disappointing bottles I have opened this year.  Still, I approached this bottle with an open mind.  This wine turns out to be built for cellaring.  The nose was fragrant, and the palette was balanced, striking a pleasant mid-point between elegance and power.  Most of the fruit was expressed in the mid-palette, featuring cherries, red currants, leather, minerals, and such, but the surprise was a raspberry core down the back of the tongue during the lengthy finish.  Now I’m looking forward to my half-bottle of 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment