Friday, December 6, 2013

October 25, 2013 – The five components of Bordeaux Blends: Petite Verdot

Back in 2011, Hendry Winery offered a blending kit for a reasonable price.  The kit consisted of five half-bottles of 2007 red wines, each 100% of a single grape variety.  The idea is that you host a party where each person tries their hand at a blend of the five varietals to see what comes up.  Lacking enough wine-geek friends to drink that much wine in one sitting, I instead decided to open them one-by-one to learn the characteristics of each wine.  In May 2012, when they put it on sale, I decided to pick up a kit. 


Tonight I opened the first of the five half-bottles, a 2007 Petite Verdot.  Most often this wine is blended with Cabernet Sauvignon in tiny quantities, seldom more than five percent of the finished product.   I have had a few other Petite Verdot wines in the past that I have enjoyed, but I have heard that they too were blended some with Cabernet, so I was a little nervous to try this wine.  The only time in the past that I have tried 100% Petite Verdot was at the Ridge Monte Bello component tastings, and those wines were recently pressed and still in barrel, which is not when a wine shows its best qualities.  Still, I was hopeful that this wine would prove to be interesting at the least.  And it was … albeit a bit light bodied and jammy at the onset.  After being open for about 90 minutes, the wine took on a little weight and some structure, making it a very nice wine to drink.  The nose was beautiful, and the palette featured flavors of blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, pencil lead, and minerals, all in terrific balance.  I am hopeful that the remaining bottles will perform equally well.

No comments:

Post a Comment