Tuesday, December 10, 2013

November 2, 2013 – Wine: 2004 Ridge Monte Bello

When I first started looking into acquiring wines and half-bottles, I learned of Ridge’s wine futures program (which morphed into the Monte Bello Collector’s Club).  The program offered a great discount on the Monte Bello wine and was available in half-bottles, so it seemed like a win-win.  I bought the 2004 futures and was able to taste the 2004 vintage from barrel.  It showed all the characteristics of a great wine in the making, and even showed better fruit than the 2002 vintage being previewed at the event.  When my bottles arrived in 2004, I tucked them away on the cellar floor to give them better temperature stability.  Having already enjoyed the 1992, 1994, 1996, 2001, and even the 2000 vintage, my hopes were high for this wine.  Tonight, I yielded to temptation and opened the first half-bottle.  The nose on the wine was good, but the palette was lacking.  There was no Monte Bello richness, the fruit was restrained, and the tobacco and mineral flavors dominated the palette.  On the plus side, the wine retains good tannic structure and is well balanced.  I am hopeful that a couple more years in the cellar will improve this wine.

1 comment:

  1. Indeed, today this wine has opened up and is tasting nicely. After 90 minutes decanting, the fruit really shines. This was worth the wait. 7/2015

    ReplyDelete