Sunday, December 15, 2013

November 3, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Domaine Chandon Reserve Russian River Pinot Noir

It is fun to follow a wine’s development.  I first discovered this wine while tasting still wines at Domaine Chandon in Yountville in 2009.  I was unimpressed with the flight of Pinot Noirs up until tasting this wine.  They were all nicely balanced, but lacked any kind of wow! factor.  Then I tasted this wine.  Its density, richness, and complexity were immediately appealing, as was the clean fruit on the palette.  So, I picked up three bottles to cellar.  I opened the first too young as the wine had started to shut down.  The second was opened for Christmas 2011 and was better, but the fruit was still a little restrained and the texture was a little muddy, albeit tending toward rich.  Today, the last bottle has finally blossomed.  While lacking some of the richness that many 2007 Pinots are now showing, this was delicious, elegant, and well balanced.  On the palette were flavors of pomegranate, baking spices, leather, cranberry, and minerals.  I shared this wine with some friends and family who were all amazed with the quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment