Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Freemark Abbey, December 21, 2013

www.freemarkabbey.com

My friends and I had just finished a late lunch in Saint Helena and had about 45 minutes to occupy.  We all wanted to visit another winery, but most places want to pour through their entire collection or require an appointment at a specific time.  We selected Freemark Abbey for its proximity to our 3:00 destination and its flexibility around the tasting menu.  (The fact I was a member there didn’t hurt either.)  My friends had never visited the historic stone winery building and enjoyed the setting.  The (gas) fireplace was lit which added visual warmth to the atmosphere indoors, even though the temperature was in the low 60’s outside.
Entry to the historic Freemark Abbey Winery building

We each decided to try different wines.  I opted for just three reds.  I started with the 2010 Mount Veeder Zinfandel, and followed with the 2009 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon, and ended with the 2009 Bosché Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.  While the 2009 Bosché was clearly my favorite, I also enjoyed the more affordable Zinfandel and bought a bottle.  My friends tasted the 2010 Petite Sirah and bought a bottle.  They also tasted the late-harvest Riesling and later lamented not having brought some home.



A full review was written already about Freemark Abbey during my visit on December 28th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment