Thursday, May 8, 2014

March 10, 2014 – Wine: 2003 Chateau Duhart Milon Pauillac Grand Cru Classe

I bought two half bottles of this wine years apart.  The first I bought (naively) back in 2006 before I knew much about Bordeaux, let alone about wines in general.  It cost me $17 at that time.  The second bottle I picked up about two years ago for more than twice that price.  Had I but known …  I bought the second bottle after opening a half-bottle of the 1982 in 2009 and being absolutely amazed by the wine.  Back in 2006, I added a piece of masking tape around the capsule instructing me to hold onto the bottle until 2008.  After tasting the 1982, I decided it should wait much longer.  And I am so glad I waited.  The 2003 is in a nice place, with good structure and modest tannins, and a gradually diminishing finish that lasts a while.  On the palette, I noted mineral, cherry, currant, leather, and tobacco, all in good balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment