Thursday, May 1, 2014

J. Lohr Vineyards and Wine, March 9, 2014

www.jlohr.com

One thing that I appreciate about J. Lohr winery is that they recycle used (natural) corks from wine bottles.  I always feel a little conspicuous because I save up corks for months before bringing them in to recycle.  Enjoying a tasting of their wines helps me forget about the feeling, and it gives me an opportunity to see how their latest vintage is developing.  As it turns out, the J. Lohr Seven Oaks Cabernet is usually one of the first Cabernets released each vintage and it allows me to get an idea about how the vintage might turn out.  Today they were pouring the 2012, which I had been waiting to taste.

As I was running other errands, I decided to try only three wines, partly to save time, and partly to reduce the affects of the alcohol.  So, I started with the recently released 2012 Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon, which seems a little locked down (wait about two months and enjoy your 2011 in the mean time).  Next I tried the 2010 Carol’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon followed by the 2010 Cuvee Pau.  Of the three wines, the Carol’s Vineyard was my favorite for its development and depth.

A full review was written already about J. Lohr Vineyards during my visit on March 25th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment