Thursday, May 15, 2014

Napa Wine Company Tasting Room, March 31, 2014

Winery - 5 / Wines - 5
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Taste many wine labels in one place.  The menu varies each week.
www.trnapawineco.com

My wine-tasting buddy (who had to cancel this trip) had recently recommended Oakville Winery’s 2010 Cabernet, based on a dinner he had attended.  I looked about and found that the only way for a consumer to get this wine locally was at this tasting room, so I decided to make a quick stop to pick up a bottle.  The tasting room spotlights a different winery each week, and it wasn’t Oakville Winery when I went.  But, fortune had smiled on me as someone else had requested a sample of the same Cabernet earlier that day, so I was able to taste the wine.  And, because I was able to taste it, I decided to buy two bottles instead of one.  (It shows a lot of promise).  If you are looking to experience new wines, this place is for you.  If you are looking to try a specific wine that they sell, you may need to keep an eye on their weekly tasting menu at their web site to plan your visit.  If you call ahead of your visit, they might be able to accommodate a special tasting arrangement.

You’ll find the Napa Wine Company’s tasting room at the corner of Oakville Cross and Highway 29.  From outside, the tasting room is only slightly distinguished from the surrounding operations buildings.  Inside, it’s obvious that an attempt has been made to make visitors feel welcome.  The room is ample and accommodates many small groups of people tasting at the same time at the two tasting bars that line two adjacent walls of the room.  In the center of the room, some comfortable leather chairs are set on a large wool carpet that helps absorb some of the sound that would reflect off the many hard surfaces.  Behind one of the tasting bars, a wine rack runs from counter height all the way up to its tall ceilings.  The lack of natural lighting was exaggerated by the cloud-laden skies outside.
Inside the tasting room at Napa Wine Company
As I was asking about the 2010 Oakville Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, I asked whether it would be possible to have a taste.  The young lady serving me indicated that the wine was already open and she poured me a sample.  The wine tasted nice enough that I bought two.  I asked her which was her favorite, and she smiled and poured me some 2010 Liparita Oakville Cabernet.  This second wine was even better, but it cost more as well, so I left with only my original purchase in hand.  This truly is a great way to shop for wine.

Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as a 5 and the wines offered as a 5.  (I may revise the wine rating as I taste other winemakers’ offerings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment