Thursday, July 3, 2014

April 25, 2014 – Wine: 2005 Carter Cellars Truchard Vineyard Merlot

This was the wine that introduced me to Carter Cellars’ wines.  I came across a half-bottle online and ordered one.  Then I opened it right away to see what it was like.  Immediately, the nose was pronounced and gorgeous.  Then came the first sip … gack!  Way too tannic, but all the right stuff for aging.  That was in 2008.  Six years later, this wine is really coming into line.  One thing that hasn’t changed much, is the nose, which remains as prominent as ever.  On the palette is where you’ll find the biggest changes as the tannins have mostly softened and integrated, and the flavors have developed a wonderful complexity including flavors of dark cherry, pomegranate, anise, clove, and graphite.  I have just one half-bottle remaining, and judging from the state of the wine today, I can probably keep it another five years.
2005 Carter Cellars Merlot

No comments:

Post a Comment