Tuesday, July 29, 2014

June 21, 2014 – Wine: 2005 Domain Henri Perrot Minot Morey St Denis En la Rue de Vergy

When I read about the greatness of France’s 2005 vintage, I hunted down a few half-bottles of Bordeaux.  And, because my wine-tasting buddy is absolutely enamored by Burgundy wines, I picked up a few nice half-bottles of that as well.  Clearly there is a big difference in the wine making styles of Burgundy and California’s Pinot Noir producers.  Most good Pinots from the Russian River or Anderson Valleys deliver their fruit in a pure and clean way.  They also tend to peak after about four years before entering into a secondary stage of evolution.  The Burgundies that I have tasted all seem to be made in a rustic style, where flavors of rocks, forest, and baking spices are woven tightly with the fruit.  This wine conforms to the Burgundian style, delivering flavors of cranberry, plum, stones, redwood (?), and baking spices.  This was a villages blend.  I have some premiere cru blends still waiting for the cork to be tugged.

2005 Domain Henri Perrot Minot Morey St Denis En la Rue de Vergy


 

No comments:

Post a Comment