Tuesday, September 9, 2014

August 2, 2014 – Wine: 2010 Neal Family Zinfandel

When guests show up on short notice after dinner, Zinfandel is my go-to wine for pop-and-pour performance.  I had seen the name Neal Family Vineyards and suggested to my friend that we visit the winery while on Howell Mountain.  I knew they made a noteworthy Cabernet, but I was surprised by the Zinfandel they sell.  (My friend bought a bottle of the 2011 after tasting it.)  After my visit, I found a few bottles of the 2010 Zinfandel and snatched some up.  I really wanted to hold onto this wine for two more years before opening it, but then I remembered I bought this wine to “sacrifice” while the bigger Cabernets lay in rest.  Tonight, the wine performed remarkably, with flavors of dark cherries, dark chocolate, earth tones, and subtle minerals all woven together nicely.  This is a more elegant style of Zinfandel that is still full of body.

No comments:

Post a Comment