Wednesday, September 3, 2014

July 24, 2014 – Wine: 2007 Goldeneye Confluence Hillside Vineyard Pinot Noir

One of my favorite online wine retailers was having a sale, where you received a percentage off your total purchase.  Naturally, I hunted down a few bottles that I thought would be nice to enjoy in a few years.  I remembered tasting the Confluence Vineyard Pinot Noir at the Goldeneye tasting room and really enjoying it.  So I quickly added this bottle to my cart and checked out.  Then I read a review on cellartracker.com which faulted the hillside version’s sturdy tannins.  (I had not tasted the hillside version.)  The easy solution to this is to let the bottle rest longer, so I did.  Tonight, I opened it.  While a typical Pinot Noir fan would not have found this wine to his liking, I enjoyed how the tannins have developed a plush quality to them.  The palette was quite nice, featuring vintage-typical flavors of black cherry, blackberry, blueberry, and minerals in a well-balanced delivery.  This bottle probably would have cellared easily for another four to six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment