Saturday, September 27, 2014

Provenance Vineyards, August 11, 2014

www.provenancevineyards.com

Here is one nice feature about buying wine from a winery …  Provenance put one of the single-vineyard Merlots (a 2007) on sale for 50% off, making it the perfect wine for entertaining.  The first bottle I uncork failed to please my guests, and only a few sips were ever taken.  Sure enough, the wine had developed badly.  The wine was not corked, but it had a certain bitter quality that made it undrinkable.  (In fact, the ounce that I tried ended up giving me a headache the next day.)  After all the bottles I have opened from Provenance, this was the first off bottle.  So, I called the winery, they brought in a replacement bottle from the warehouse, and held it for me to pick up at my convenience.  (That’s the nice feature.)  So, today I was picking up that bottle.  I had another opportunity to check out the garden reconfiguration going on, and it looks like it will be nice when it’s done.
The new front yard at Provenance Vineyards is well underway.

For my tasting flight, I decided to start with the 2013 Rose of Malbec, since it was included in my last shipment.  Next I moved onto the 2011 Winemaker’s Reserve and the 2010 Three Palms Merlot, which is showing very nicely right now.  Following that I was able to compare the 2009 Three Palms Cabernet Sauvignon to the 2009 To Kalon Cabernet Sauvignon.  Finally, I could not resist an opportunity to try the now rare 2004 Hewitt Cabernet Sauvignon, which was special.  Of these, the 2009 To Kalon Cabernet Sauvignon was my favorite, followed closely by the 2010 Three Palms Merlot.

A full review was written already about Provenance Vineyards during my visit on February 8th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment