Monday, February 13, 2012

February 10, 2012 - Wine: 2004 Rubicon Estate Red

Tonight I opened a half bottle (375ml) of 2004 Rubicon Estate Red.  As soon as the cork was out of the bottle, the wine gave forth a beautiful nose full of rich, dark fruits.  I let the wine decant for about 90 minutes before drinking it.  On the palette, the wine is rich, loaded with fruits but nicely layered with secondary flavors, and ends with a persistent finish that lasts for nearly a minute.  While the wine is delicious today, the balance is a little off and the wine is still edgy, so I will hold off for two more years before popping a second bottle.


Most of my wine collection is in half bottles.  This allows me to enjoy more quality at the expense of quantity.  For me, I prefer this trade-off as it allows me to enjoy a wonderful glass of wine during the week and awaken fully functioning the next day.  This bottle format fits my lifestyle to a tee: decadent without excess.

1 comment:

  1. I like a lot the "decadent without excess", when this is about one of the best wine (value for the price) in the entire Napa Valley. I had the chance to taste this wine a couple of time, including some very old vintages, and it is always an extraordinary experience in terms of balance, complexity, richness and incomparable elegance.

    ReplyDelete