Thursday, February 16, 2012

February 14, 2012 - Wine: 2004 Franciscan Magnificat

Tonight I opened a half bottle (375ml) of 2004 Franciscan Magnificat.  As soon as it was out of the bottle, a delicious bouquet of fruit wafted from the decanter.  I left the wine in the decanter for an hour before trying it.  By then the nose had subdued.  On the palette, the wine had primary flavors of minerals and leather, with secondary flavors of dark fruits.  Good complexity and balance, some intensity on the mid-palette, and a finish that persisted for 30 seconds.  It seems the fruit in this wine is starting to shut down.  I’ll give the next bottle a year before trying it again.


My family and I differ on our perspectives about decanting.  My sister wants to experience the wine as it evolves.  I want to start drinking it once it has entered its relaxed state after opening.  When you only have a half-bottle to enjoy, I feel that the extra wait is worth the reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment