Friday, February 24, 2012

February 21, 2012 – Wine: 2005 Domain Chandon Pinot Noir Russian River La Riviere

I remember tasting this wine at the winery three years ago.  It was a rich Pinot Noir delivering red cherry and strawberry flavors with good structure (a cab-drinker’s Pinot).  When I opened the bottle tonight, I allowed the wine to breathe in the decanter for an hour and a half before drinking it.  The fruit flavors had darkened (and muted some) since I first tasted it, the body had lightened up slightly and had achieved a near-perfect balance.  There was classic Pinot Noir minerality and a finish that lasted beyond 30 seconds.  Overall, this is very nice wine.  About 45 minutes later, the nose opened up, as did the fruit, amping up the wow factor, while still maintaining its balance.  I have one more bottle and I’ll open it after another two years in the cellar.

No comments:

Post a Comment