Thursday, February 9, 2012

False Starts


On Wednesday, February 8th, I headed up to Napa Valley with plans to visit four wineries, including two new places and two revisits.  I wanted to start at Steltzner Vineyards before getting some lunch in Yountville and heading up to Frog’s Leap Winery.  I pulled into the parking lot at Steltzner and took a few pictures of the young mustard popping up.  Then I stepped inside the familiar building to the tasting room and … it was all gone.  The room was completely vacant.  It turns out that Steltzner had sold a portion of their vineyards, including the tasting room and offices, to Plumpjack Winery, who will be starting a new project there.  So, I decided to get my lunch next.


On the road to Yountville, I passed an interesting winery I had not noticed before (which is easy to do).  I decided to stop there after picking up my sandwich.  As I returned, I pulled onto the side street by Goosecross Cellars and noticed the imposing gate blocking the main access to the winery.  I’m guessing that they were not welcoming the public that day, so I decided to find someplace else along my route to Frog’s Leap.

Driving north along the Silverado trail, I recognized Paraduxx Winery just ahead and decided to try their wines.  I have passed by so many times without stopping that I was starting to feel that perhaps I was missing out on something (especially since I enjoyed my experience at Goldeneye, which is part of the same company).  As I reached the driveway entrance to Paraduxx, a sign blocking the entrance read “Closed for private event”.  Strike three!

Had this been baseball, I would have been done for the inning.  By now, I had lost enough time tracking down inaccessible wineries with accessible wines that I decided to blow off my first stop and proceed to the second.  I love the drive along Rutherford Cross Road as it winds gently along Conn Creek.  I soon reached the driveway to Frog’s Leap Winery, when I experienced de ja vu.  There, blocking the entrance to the driveway, was a sign that read “Closed for private event”.  Strike four?  (Is that possible?)

I suppose it helps to call each winery in advance to avoid issues with private events and tasting room closures.  It also helps to plan a backup winery or two.  The odd part to this experience was the number of unavailable tasting rooms lined up in a row.  This was the first that I had ever experienced anything like this.  I hope too that it will be the last for a while.  In any case, the afternoon was still young so I stopped at the closest place down the road.  I’ll write more on that visit in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment