Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hess Collection Winery, May 12th, 2012

Winery - 8 / Wines - 7
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
Vine-covered building, wonderful garden and pond.  Good values and unexpected variety of wines.
www.hesscollection.com

I discovered this winery by looking at a map of the area and thinking “what an unusual name”.  So I planned a visit on my first solo trip to Napa Valley in 2005.  I was immediately taken in by the grounds, the building, and the tasting room.  I was also amazed by the wines, which offer very good quality for the price.  I since brought my sister to Hess Collection and she was sufficiently impressed to join the wine club.  (I benefitted from her membership a little, too.)  This time I was introducing a friend to the Hess Collection winery.  I knew he would appreciate all that they have to offer.


The Hess Collection Entrance

Unlike many mountain wineries that require enduring a winding road to get there, this winery rewards anyone with an appreciation for beauty (not just the wine enthusiast).  The walk up to the winery entrance is lined on one side by a long, narrow, elevated pond with gold fish and floating lily pads.  The other side is flanked by a tall wall covered by grape vines.  Across from the pond is a large peaceful garden area with full sun and shaded areas.  The lobby to the winery is much like a corporate office, except that it is decorated by large paintings that are a part of the Hess (art) Collection.  Just off the lobby lies the tasting room which is an experience in textures.  From the hardwood floors to the stone faced walls and the under counter lighting the entire room is textured in richness.  A tasting bar occupies the middle of the room and accommodates more people than you might have imagined.  Just off the tasting room is a store where you can buy any of the available wine selections, branded merchandise, and some irresistible snacks (watch out for the Chardonnay peanut brittle).  For those not interested in wine, there are two floors of renowned art above the lobby that you are free to browse.  My favorite work features an old typewriter with flames coming off the platen. 


The tasting bar at The Hess Collection Winery

Hess Collection produces one of the broadest collections of different wine varieties that I have experienced, and each is produced at the same fine level of quality.  There are about five or six white wines, a rosé, and a vast array of reds.  On this visit, I tried one of the Zinfandels, the Carignane, a Petite Sirah, the Charbono, a Meritage blend, and two Cabernet Sauvignons.  (There is a four wine limit, but my companion and I shared our distinct flights.)  Surpisingly, my favorite was the Petite Sirah for its balance, restraint (for a Petite Sirah), and delicious fruit.  In other vintatges Hess Collection has produced a Malbec (2006), a Cabernet Franc (2004), and a Petite Verdot (2004) that were also noteworthy.

Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as an 8 and the wines offered as a 7.  This is consistent with all of my previous visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment