Thursday, June 28, 2012

May 26, 2012 – Wine: 2003 Rudd Estate Red

I bought this wine to complete a vertical, and to give it a try.  I am absolutely taken by the 2002, and the 2004 is an impressive offering as well.  I figured, how bad can the 2003 be with such pedigree?  I was not disappointed at all.  Considering that 2003 is a vintage that some collectors steer clear of, I found this wine to be delightfully balanced, spectacular on the nose, and downright delicious.  This wine delivers on the fruit.  It starts off in a big way with black cherry and raspberry, followed by notes of mineral, and a suggestion of leather and vanilla.  The finish lasts beyond half a minute and the tannins are both silky and sweet.  Let this wine decant for over two hours before drinking to avoid the harsh edges and you will be rewarded.  I decanted for an hour, and by hour-two I had a little more than an ounce remaining in my glass.  While it was enough to learn that the wine had turned so velvety soft, it was a little too late to really enjoy it.  By the way … try melting a bit of dark chocolate on your tongue before taking a sip.  The two flavors really bring out the best experience.

2003 Rudd Estate Red

No comments:

Post a Comment