Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Saint Clement Vineyards, May 12th, 2012

Winery - 8 / Wines - 7
Range:  1 to 9 (9 is best, 5 is average)
1880’s hillside farmhouse and shaded patio.  Cabernets, Merlots, Chardonnays, and Sauvignon Blanc.
www.stclement.com

I was once a wine club member at St. Clement Vineyards.  Before that, I decided to visit the winery the first time after thoroughly enjoying a bottle of their 2001 Oroppas (rated 93 points).  After several visits, I decided to join the wine club after tasting the 2004 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and the 2002 Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon.  I made the "mistake" of selecting a version of the club that delivered three bottles each month.  It wasn’t long before my basement was swimming in St. Clement’s wines, so I had to withdraw from the club.  I continue to visit St. Clement and follow their wines through each vintage.  I have been enjoying my wine club wines as they mature as well.  And I adore the St. Clement property.


The balcony at St. Clement Winery welcomes you
Just north of the town of St. Helena, past the historic Beringer winery, the St. Clement winery clings to the hillside of the western foothills.  The tasting room is housed (pun intended) in an 1880’s era plantation house overlooking the valley floor.  The house rests about 100 feet above the valley floor, affording a spectacular view of the valley while remaining intimately close to the vines.  The house is surrounded by a classic balcony that wraps around three sides of the building.  Just in front of the house is a large patio shaded by a huge old oak tree with a number of tables where you can sit and enjoy your tasting flight (and a snack).  The patio is surrounded by a tiered garden that is nicely landscaped.  The views from the patio go so well with the St. Clement wines.  If you attend a special event in the winemaker’s house, you are in for another treat.  That house is quite new, but styled and appointed in classic California luxury, relaxed and elegant.

The tasting bar at St. Clement Winery
 St. Clement offers two tasting options.  One showcases the winery’s Napa Valley wines which are sourced from multiple sites throughout the valley.  The other features a selection of St. Clement’s single-vineyard wines.  I paid for the single-vineyard flight but swapped in a couple of the Napa Valley blends.  I tried the 2008 Merlot, the 2009 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, the 2008 Oroppas, and the 2008 Star Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.  They also pour a Chardonnay and a Sauvignon Blanc, depending upon which tasting flight you elect.  This time my favorite wine was the 2008 Oroppas for its terrific balance.

Based on this experience, I would rate the winery as an 8 and the wines offered as a 7.  This is consistent with all of my previous visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment