Sunday, June 17, 2012

May 17, 2012 – Wine: 2005 Shafer Merlot

A friend of mine in the wine business invited me to join him for a tasting at Shafer Winery in 2008.  After tasting the 2003 Shafer Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, I was eager to try the 2005 (now called One Point Five).  While certainly nicely made, the star of the tasting event was the 2005 Shafer Merlot.  I can recall its beautiful fruits and richness.  When I last opened a bottle (in June 2011) this wine was exquisite in its texture, although its beautiful fruits were starting to wane.  This time, the palette featured primarily mineral flavors followed by dark cherry, leather, dark chocolate, and menthol.  This bottle developed a slightly edgy body (even after two hours open).  I have one half-bottle remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment