Sunday, September 9, 2012

A pair of Miner Family Wines

I enjoy the Miner Family winery nearly as much as I enjoy their wines.  These folks produce a couple of truly remarkable wines, but nearly everything they stuff into a barrel comes out nicely made at the very least.  Here are two examples ...
July 18, 2012 – Wine:  2005 Miner Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon

I last opened a bottle of this wine a year ago in June and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Since I just ordered three more half-bottles, I decided to open one before the new bottles arrive.  While this wine has evolved over the past year, it has retained its balance and richness.  The wine is now much smoother than last year, albeit less crisp.  It starts with flavors of black cherry, black raspberry, and minerals followed by subtle notes of dark chocolates.  There is enough structure and body to last another two to four years easily.

July 19, 2012 – Wine:  2006 Miner Family Winery Sangiovese

My first experience with the Minery Family Winery Sangiovese was with the 2005 vintage.  That wine showed impressive quality for the price (about $24).  I remember standing in the tasting room and recommending it to others when it finally dawned on me … I should get some.  And I did again with the 2006 vintage.  The 2006 vintage of this wine is one of the few red wines that lacks many of the 2006 vintage characteristics that I don’t care for.  There is no harshness, no steel or charcoal or scorched earth, and the balance is incredible.  To say this wine is smooth would be an understatement.  It starts off with a potent nose full of fruit, followed on the palette by sour cherry, pomegranate, mineral, and subtle baking spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment