Tuesday, September 4, 2012

July 15, 2012 – Wine: 2005 August Briggs Syrah

I remember tasting this wine at the winery when it was released and noting the promise it offered.  I also recalled how well the 2002 vintage of this wine performed, so I decided to get a bottle to give to my sister on her birthday in a few years.  I gave it to her last May, and today when I stopped by for a visit she asked which wine she should open.  When this one was offered as a candidate, I jumped at the opportunity.  All I can say is … wow!  The nose on this wine is amazing, offering up a complex mix of red and black fruits.  On the palette, I noted red and black raspberries, white pepper, dark chocolate, mineral notes, and subtle vanilla on the finish.  While this wine had the composition to go another three to five years, it is performing wonderfully right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment