Sunday, September 30, 2012

August 7, 2012 – Wine: 2001 Joseph Phelps Insignia

I was browsing a web site for half bottles when I stumbled across this bottle and thought “I wonder what a 95 point wine tastes like.”  I was working a second job for a short while and I decided to splurge on a half-bottle of Insignia.  Could a wine with that score be bad?  Apparently not.  When I opened this bottle in June of 2010, the wine was clearly performing at its peak.  (I used the word “spectacular” in my notes.)  I recall a magical richness, elegance, balance, and flavor that I have yet to reproduce.  So, I located three more bottles online.  Now, two years later, the magic is waning, but the wine remains terrific.  Well layered with flavors, I noted blackberry, pencil lead, chalky tannins, powerful minerals, and subtle black currant, all woven together in terrific balance.

2001 Joseph Phelps Insignia

No comments:

Post a Comment