Thursday, March 21, 2013

February 5, 2013 – Wine: 2003 Domain Vincent Girardin Santenay 1er Cru Les Gravieres

Back in 2007, a number of my coworkers came to California for a group training and planning session that lasted nearly two weeks.  Not willing to give up my wine access for so long a period, I opted to bring a variety of selections from my young cellar to share with some of them, ranging in price from $10 to $60 a half-bottle.  To express their appreciation, they all chipped in for this bottle of fine Burgundy, most likely at the urging of my friend.  Tonight I was to have dinner with that same friend, so I decided to share his selection with him some six years later.  This bottle demonstrated (more so than the Clos du Lambrays) the distinction between California’s and Burgundy’s Pinot Noir wines.  This wine has a sort of rustic elegance to it, with terrific balance, a prominent nose, total mouth feel, and a persistent finish.  I noted flavors of strawberry, cranberry, red rose, and minerals.  The minerals become more pronounced as the evening progressed, but settled down by the next day when I finished the last glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment