Tuesday, March 12, 2013

January 24, 2013 – Wine: 2006 Gary Farrell Starr Ridge Pinot Noir

I really enjoyed tasting the 2005 vintage of this wine at the winery, but lacked the motivation to purchase a bottle.  After tasting the 2006, I was thoroughly impressed with the pureness of the fruit to buy two bottles.  I opened the first a little prematurely in 2010 and could tell that this wine needed some more time in the cellar to unlock its potential.  Tonight I was ready to try again, and I was well rewarded for my patience.  The wine offers up a pronounced bouquet.  The palette has retained its elegance and purity of fruit while also developing its mineral backbone.  I noted flavors of strawberry, cranberry, baking spices, minerals, and red licorice.  My friend, who is an ardent follower of Burgundian wines, was also impressed with this bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment