Monday, March 4, 2013

January 16, 2013 – Wine: 2003 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays Grand Cru

I have met a few people that share a passion for red Burgundy, so I decided to try some myself.  After tasting a few 2005 Burgundies at a local wine shop (back in 2008), it was clear to me that these wines would show their best with a little age.  Of course, finding aged Burgundies in California is a bit of a challenge, so I figured it would be best to age a few bottles and find out.  I stumbled upon some half bottles of this wine while checking out some 2005’s, so I picked up both vintages – the 2003 would be ready a few years earlier.  Three years later I decided to try the first of the 2003’s.  This wine really impressed me.  It balances depth, elegance, and power in a way that is quite appealing, with a fantastic nose and a delicious palette of strawberry, sour cherry, pomegranate, leather, and pronounced minerals on the finish.  This wine will easily go another five years, even in the half bottle.  While it’s different from California Pinot Noir, I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this wine.

January 16, 2013 – Wine:  2003 Domaine des Lambrays Clos des Lambrays Grand Cru


No comments:

Post a Comment