Tuesday, May 7, 2013

April 14, 2013 – Wine: 2005 Boa Ventura Maroon Label Cabernet Sauvignon

After a day of uninspiring wine-tasting in Livermore Valley, an insider recommended that I visit Boa Ventura winery to taste their Cabernets.  I was glad that I did.  All of the wines produced at Boa Ventura offer a sense depth and balance that is rare in Livermore.  As they are a tiny operation, it is more economical for them to use wax capsules on their bottles, so they color the wax differently for each wine.  Their top Cabernet uses a maroon colored wax, and is referred to as the Maroon Cabernet Sauvignon.  Not only was I impressed with this wine at the winery, I was elated to find it bottled in half-bottles, so I put together a mixed case.  The wine entered a shut-down state almost immediately, so I let it rest for a couple of years.  Tonight, the wine is showing quite nicely with better fruit development and good balance.  I noticed flavors of tea, cherry, red licorice, mineral, and leather.  I am eager to see how the last bottle of this plays out in a couple more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment